Open to all acoustic musicians, singers and songwriters, the South Bay Folks Acoustic Open Mike has been a popular feature of the South Bay music scene since 1992. A number of traditions have evolved over the years to ensure that everyone gets an equal chance to play, and to keep the evening running at a brisk pace. You'll find pertinent info on how to sign up and performance guidelines below.
When & Where
(sign up by 6:45pm)
Los Gatos Lodge Bar & Grill
50 Los Gatos-Saratoga Rd.,
Los Gatos, CA 95032
The Los Gatos Lodge's Bar and Grill offers a variety of sandwiches, soups, salads, and entrees. Note that the kitchen closes at 8pm.
Los Gatos Lodge is located just east of the intersection of Hwy 9 and Hwy 17 in Los Gatos. Take the first right after you enter the property, following the sign for the Bar and Grill. The entrance for the Bar & Grill will be on your left.
The map at left is interactive, or you can go directly to Google maps for directions.
Sign Up & Selection
- Drop your name in the jar before the drawing begins at 6:45pm. You must be present at the time of the drawing; no "phone ins" allowed.
- Performers holding a valid rain check from the previous SBF open mike (see below) must present their rain check to the host, and place their name on the board before the drawing begins.
- Please sign up once. "Tom & Jerry," should not sign up as "Tom with Jerry" and then again as "Jerry with Tom." We want to ensure that everyone gets a fair chance at a slot, not to discourage folks from backing up other performers. If in doubt, ask the host.
- Performers get to choose one of eighteen time slots as their names are randomly drawn from a jar.
- Names will not be added to the jar once the drawing has begun. Late-comers must wait until after the drawing is complete to claim any slots that may remain.
- After all eighteen time slots are filled, the drawing will continue from the names remaining in the jar to award up to nine rain checks. A rain check guarantees the holder a slot at the next regularly scheduled open mike (only). Rain checks are not transferable, and must be presented to the open mike host before the evening's drawing begins.
- The SBF open mike is intended to showcase musical talents; it is not a poet's or comedian's open mike.
- Instrumentation must be acoustic. (An exception is made for electric bass when plugged directly into our board.) No synthesizers, sequencers, karaoke machines, tape or CD players. There is now a piano available.
- All acoustic genres are welcomed. While many performers would easily be recognized as "folk" musicians and singers, a wide variety of music is performed.
- Performers are allowed two songs or 10 minutes -- whichever comes first.
- Be tuned up and ready to perform when your turn comes, or you will be bumped to the end of the list.
- Instruments with pickups must plug into our board. Leave the amplifiers, effects boxes, etc. at home. Direct boxes are OK, but double check that you have a good battery and good cables. Delays in setup come out of your performance time.
- Please be aware that children are often present and adjust your performance accordingly.